Can Hakkasodpatra be cancelled after death of owner

Me n my mother gives hakkasodpatra to my brother. Last month my brother was expired. Can we cancelled registered hakkasodpatra

Answers (2)

269 votes

Hakkasodpatra know as "RELEASE DEED" appears to be duly executed and registered whereby your brother became absolute owner. If he died leaving behind legal heir being wife or children they will be entitled to his property, if not you have to approach by way of Testamentary Petition/appropriate proceeding based on facts of the case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

56 votes

A registered HakkaSodPatra is nothing but a waiver of rights in a property, ie by executing such document, you have waived your rights in favour of your brother. Under this document, your brother became entitled for your share / right in the property, absolutely. It can not be cancelled even after his death. The property will devolve upon his legal heirs, which may include your mother and in some cases, you too.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles