Builder agreed to pay EMI and now has stopped paying EMI

Hi. I had taken a homeloan from a govt bank, for which the agreeement was with the builder that the builder will pay the emi until possession. However builder has stopped responding to all queries for over 8 months and I don’t want that property anymore as I cannot afford to pay the emi. I am getting threatened by the bank, and Max they can do is putting in a cheque and having that cheque bounce. What is my solution in this matter.

Answers (3)

HI, in this matter, either you can ask the builder to refund your money. For that you have to file appropriate suit against the builder. Secondly, i need to see the tripartite agreement between you, builder and the bank. For more information feel free to have a word with me.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If the clause that the builder will pay EMI is part of your contract to buy the house / apartment, the most efficient remedy with you is to raise a consumer dispute. The amount in dispute would determine whether your claim would lie before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum or the State Commission.

If however the said agreement does not directly pertain to the purchase of the property and is made subsequently or independently, your remedy would be to file a suit for specific performance against the builder before a Civil Court of competent jurisdiction.

It is an existing practice in Delhi / NCR region and also certain other places that, the bank. builder and the purchaser enter into a tripartite agreement. If your case also falls in such a category, depending upon the terms of the tripartite agreement, you could insist that the bank proceed against the builder to recover the amount.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

These cases are very common nowadays. I would suggest you to send a legal notice to the builder to comply with the norms. All legal actions can only be taken once notice has been served upon the entity or individual you wish to take to court. It is only this process that legalizes bringing a matter to court. The intimation sent is known as legal notice. Many a times, a legal notice is served will bring the other party on heels and the problem can be resolved out of court too, with fruitful discussions on both sides. Alternatively you can also file a police against the builder for cheating and criminal breach of trust. You can also lodge a police complaint against bank for threatening you.


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Dear Sir, I have purchased a flat in Bangalore from the builder in 2004 and have been living in that flat since then. Flat was taken under loan from S…

Read More

Hi Sir, I had booked 1bhk flat in pcmc chikhali on April-16 & at the time of booking he was commited possession may or June-17 but in agreement he…

Read More

After more than 4 years, builder not completed work of building ( work in progress ) , but as per mentioned in agreement , he asking for 12 % interest…

Read More

Dear team, i booked a 2bhk flat which was supposed to be delivered by dec 2017, but not yet delivered. As per the clause of the agreement, builder was…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue