Advice in case tenant asking for rent agreement copy to change address

My tenant is asking for rent agreement copy for address update in their aadhar card. kindly suggest, Should I give the copy to them and whether it is legal?

Answers (3)

233 votes

In the list of document for address proof publicised by UIDAI, the government agency which handles aadhar, a rent agreement is not enlisted.
However, sharing of a copy of the rent agreement agreement with your tenant is not an illegal act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

74 votes

You are totally under your rights to give your copy of the aadhar and they are also right in asking for a copy of the aadhar card but it totally depends if the purpose to ask that is only limited to that only or not

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
265 votes

Why not!
If your rent agreement is genuine then need not worry.
Otherwise if you doubt your tenant's character...then avoid giving the aadhad card.
For mlre information feel free to have a word with me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles