quesSold car but registration in my name am I liable to pay for accident

owner sells car to Buyer in Oct 2015 who does not get the vehicle transferred till 26th April 2016. Buyer meanwhile buys an insurance policy in name of old owner. The buyer is involved in an accident while driving this car on 9th April (before the transfer occurs). A court order for compensation has been sent to the old owner since car was in his name as per rto records on day of accident. What should the old owner do in such scenario to ensure all liabilities are passed on to the new owner(buyer). insurance valid in old owner name till Oct 2016.

  • ansAs long as the vehicle remains registered in your name you will be held responsible for any accident or illegal activities the car may be used for. You will be liable to compensate the victim's family members if he dies or the victim if he survives.

    You must be having copies of the forms and the R.C. Book which were required to be executed by you while you had sold the vehicle. It is your legal obligation under section 50 of the Motor Vehicle Act that you send a registered letter to the concerned R.T.O. informing that you have sold the vehicle to such a such person ( give his address and telephone contact number) and have handed over the R.C. Book to such purchaser, in which event when any traffic offence is done by him the police will check on with the records of the vehicle from the R.T.O which would reveal the new name of the purchaser.

  • Read the complete Kolkata Traffic Police Case Law Guide by LawRato to stay updated about your motor vehicle rights in Kolkata.
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Motor Accident lawyers in India

Similar questions

I was riding bike one police came and took off my bike keys and started…

Hi, I recently had a road accident where I had collided with someone else's car.No…

A MACP case is filed against me and my insurer for a liability of an…
Dear Sir, I am a victim met with an accident and have been proved disable…

Motor Accident Lawyers in India

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  Swej Farm, Sodala
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Vandana Bhansali

  Kamla Nehru Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly