Met with accident person agreed to bear damages now refused to pay

met an car accident on 10th Dec 2017 my car got damaged after mutual talk he agreed to bear expenses so i repaired my car amounting 30 thousand but now he is not responding not receiving my cal as we had mutual understanding i hv not filed fir also I m worried that he may escape what can I do now please kindly suggest what type of case can I file against him or send him a legal notice Thanking you

Answers (3)

128 votes

You should first have made a complaint against the person to whom you met accident and after he was settling then the you could have taken the complaint back so that you would been secure from your side.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

120 votes

Anytime after an accident, always file an FIR if the other person is at fault. As per the norm you should have also got a copy of his license and his car insurance papers.
Nonetheless since you both agreed mutually on oral terms , that he reimburse you for the loss, he should be obligated by law to fulfill his promise made to you. A oral agreement/oral promise is also binding in law. Even when you both mutually agreed that he should reimburse you for the loss, you should have also written down in writing. Even when you received RS.30,000/- as part payment, you should have proof of the same, is it vide cheque? If cash then it should have been acknowledged on a written piece of paper.

Even then, the other person is obligated by law to pay you the money and if he doesn't it amounts to breach of trust. Yes you can definitely send him a legal notice requesting him to pay you at earliest or legal action can be taken against him.

Popular Motor Accident Lawyers

Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
274 votes

On the same time you have to register FIR. It is already been delayed by you. There no such legal notice for accident. You would have to go to police same time. Now also you can try ti trap him by registering FIR.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles