Rent during Lockdown if the tenant had given notice to vacate

Dear Sir/Madam If a tenant running shop in my property has given 1 month notice to vacate the property before start of lockdown.And if he does not vacate due to lockdown.Is he liable to pay the rent for lockdown

Answers (3)

170 votes

Yes, he is liable to pay the rent. if he doesn't compel with his 1month notice to vacate the property then you have a legal right to send him a legal notice or legal action against him if he continued his tenancy without paying rent

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

268 votes

Since said property was in occupation of the tenant for that period hence he is liable for paying you the rent.
For that you can send him a legal notice demanding the rent for that period. If he still does not pay you then you can approach the court with civil suit for recovery fo the said amount.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
146 votes

Yes till the possession and key are handed over to landlord the Possession remains with tenant even if empty and locked this tenant is liable to pay rent as per law
But in peculiar situations if it is then rent can discussed
You can see if u need any legal help u can take further legal opinion after sharing rent agreement

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."