Redevelopment of building being delayed what can be done

Our Building has been under redevelopment process for over 9 years. Our Landlord promised us to redevelop the building into a tower while vacanting the building. But now after 9 years he is unable to do so and wants more 10 to 20 years for reconstruction. Now we tenants do not have enough money to redevelop on our own. Is there any solution for the above problem.

Answers (2)

169 votes

First do meeting with all your society member and with developer, ask to developer or find out the reason for delayed of your redevelopment project, and then you can move appropriate authority.
Before that also study and understand terms and conditions of your re-development agreement and Agreement of Permanent Alternate Accommodation and as you have already stated in your query, “Building has been under redevelopment process for over 9 years”, so plz move before consumer court, where you get relief.
Because, In case of delays by the developer, then builder will be liable to pay compensation to the allotters but such redevelopment projects are often delayed due to dispute between builder and society member etc. and builder always try to term these as force majeure clause.(Plz see your re-development agreement).
Or also forward a letter to builder/developer, ask them in writing the reasons behind the delays’ of your redevelopment project and then after take necessary steps or you can move before the consumer court,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

194 votes

You need to enforce the Permanent Alternate Accomodation Agreement with you for specific performance, if he has agreed to give you an accomodation in the new premises on ownership basis. Your documents need to be checked to save limitation.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."