Procedure to get rent from tenant

Sir, for last 3 months tenant is not paying the rent.Please advise how to proceed.

Answers (3)

128 votes

You can file a petition against the client for eviction from premises on the ground of non payment of agreed rent. If tenancy is under a written agreement then you can refer it. If it's under an oral agreement then you need to prove the rent by some other means.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

98 votes

You can file a petition for eviction before concern rent court. In your case, tenant didn't pay rent amount for 3 months, so you have the valid ground for filing eviction petition against your tenant.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
65 votes

If you are holding any rental deposit, say amounting to 3 or 6 months' rent, you can appropriate it against the rental arrears, and inform the tenant accordingly. Or else, send him a legal notice demanding arrears of rent to be paid immediately.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."