Legal procedure for eviction of tenants for self occupancy

Dear Team, We have a building in Birhana road area of Kanpur, wherein the ground floor shop (road facing) was rented to a Jeweller in 1987, the rent getting paid as of now (per month) is below Rs. 2,500 which makes the rent agreement fall out of UP rent control act. We want to re occupy that shop ourselves for our own use as we have to start our own venture there but the tetant is not agreeing due to which the matter has gone into litigation. Its been ~ 3 years since the matter is subjudice with very negligible movement. What course of action shall we take to expedite the process and ruling in our favor. Please advise.

Answers (2)

156 votes

First you should stop to receive rent then terminate his tenancy by giving thirty days notice and file ejectment suit against tenant it is good for you that shop is exempted from UP rent control act now no protection of the act to the tenant

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

249 votes

U should file petition in high court for expedient the proceedings of case filed by you in district court and because matter is already subjudiced that’s why any other Opinion can be given only after carefully reading of whole case file

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."