Legal procedure for eviction of tenant after expiry of rent agreement

The tenant is over 60year old and lives alone in our 1BHK flat. The agreement expires on April 31st and we do not wish to renew it. If he stays beyond the said period of the agreement, how to evict him? Will the police be any help because the said tenant is a senior citizen? Also, beyond the expiry date, can we shut off electricity and water lines to ease eviction? We plan on executing some construction and repair work, so can we enter the premise and start working regardless if he is within the premise or not?

Answers (4)

No you do not try to enter into his premises for any construction or repairing work. and Not to shut off electricity and water line which is very essential for mankind. If you do it, then he can lodged FIR against you and you will go into the BAR. First you should issue a Legal Notice for eviction from your rented premises. and after elapsing the time as per Agreement, you should go before the Civil Court for Eviction.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If you cut off electrucity and water, you will surely go to jail. First of all, you have to go through your tenancy agreement and read it carefully, if there is any clause of renewal of agreement. If yes, see what is the clause, does it say after expiry of tenancy the tenant is bound to hand over the possession to landlord? Or does it say, after its expiry the agreement will be automatically renewed. If it is 1st one, you have a good ground to evict. Secondly, suppose your agreement expires, but after that you accept any month's rent, it will be treated as implied acceptance of renewal of tenancy, so dont accept any months rent. There are some grounds for eviction of tenant like, defaulter of payment, addition alteration of building, act of waste, and many more but you have to give a notice of eviction before filing a suit.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
18 years Experience
Advocate Parvez Ahamed
Magrath Road, Bangalore
23 years Experience
Advocate Anubhav Almadi
District Court, Gurgaon, Gurgaon
11 years Experience

Just give the tenant in writing that after the expiry period your agreement will not be renewed and to look for a new place to live. Still if your tenant does not evict you have to file an eviction suit against your tenants.

You can file criminal case against him for using your property without your permission. You need to come to our office with all documents so that we can provide you the best possible remedy for your problem

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

15 Minutes Landlord / Tenant Advice Session by Phone

4.7 | 498 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your landlord / tenant issue
Lease Agreement Drafting - Commercial Property

4.7 | 188 ratings
30 Min Into call + Start to finish help - Commercial Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Registration of Lease Agreement

4.4 | 102 ratings
Registration of lease agreement through a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Refund of Security

4.8 | 389 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Document Review - Lease Agreement Residential Property

4.6 | 132 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Residential Lease review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Tenant Eviction

4.6 | 361 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Document Review - Lease Agreement Commercial Property

4.4 | 152 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Commercial Lease review by a local experienced advocate
Lease - Residential Property

4.8 | 271 ratings
Residential Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Could i evict the tenant who has a ongoing rental agreement for the next 5 years and I would like to occupy on the basis of self-use as a landlord. Wh…

Read More

If the tenant has change the use of landlords commercial property. subletting the premises beyond the original agreement. which action can be useful.…

Read More

Dear Sir/Mam, I have taken an office on rent wide NJ stamp paper notarized by notary public. But landlord did not give me the possession on date. Afte…

Read More

What is the legal validity of a lease agreement after the death of Lessor? What is the right of successors of the lessor? Can Sucessor modify the Leas…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue