is it possible for me to claim my first husband's insurance ?

Hello, I have been married to my husband in 2006. In 2009 my husband committed suicide for some health reasons, leaving behind me and our 1 year old son. My husband in his suicide note had asked that all his LIC and other insurance, investments to be given to me and my son. However, given his cause of death, my in-laws have turned hostile and have not given me any amount. I also have focused on my future, went on to get a future degree, good job etc to secure my and my son's future and hence did not press them / take any legal action against them for the money. I have now married another man. Given this situation, is it possible for me to claim my first husband's insurance & investment money?

Your son is eligible for claiming the said insurance and other benefits of investment of your husband, as you don't have any right for maintenance or any other benefit as you have remarried thereby losing your right over the post-death benefits of your ex-husband. However, you can file the complaint in IRDA or to the insurance company on behalf of your son.

Popular Insurance Lawyers