is it possible for me to claim my first husband's insurance ?

Hello, I have been married to my husband in 2006. In 2009 my husband committed suicide for some health reasons, leaving behind me and our 1 year old son. My husband in his suicide note had asked that all his LIC and other insurance, investments to be given to me and my son. However, given his cause of death, my in-laws have turned hostile and have not given me any amount. I also have focused on my future, went on to get a future degree, good job etc to secure my and my son's future and hence did not press them / take any legal action against them for the money. I have now married another man. Given this situation, is it possible for me to claim my first husband's insurance & investment money?

Answers (1)

340 votes

Your son is eligible for claiming the said insurance and other benefits of investment of your husband, as you don't have any right for maintenance or any other benefit as you have remarried thereby losing your right over the post-death benefits of your ex-husband. However, you can file the complaint in IRDA or to the insurance company on behalf of your son.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Insurance Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Insurance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles