Does expired insurance affect compensation in case of accident?

We didn't have an active insurance at the time of accident. We had a third party insurance which expired.


1) Will our expired insurance have any effect on the petition?


2) We had minor injuries but had our car completely damaged. Can we expect compensation for our damages and the mental strain we had gone through.


3) Is there any chance that the bus driver or owner be punished severely so that justice is done to us.




Your insurance policy has nothing to do with the compensation. You will have to file a petition under the Motor Vehicle Act in the Motor Accident Claim Tribunal wherein you will have to implead the private bus owner and the bus driver. If the bus had a third party insurance, then you will have to implead the Insurance Company, as one of the parties, to the Compensation Application which is to be filed before the Motor Accident Claim Tribunal.


However, since you did not have comprehensive insurance policy so you cannot claim insurance for the damages for your car. 


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Insurance Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Insurance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I went to meet a friend from vidyanagar on sunday night and he asked me to stay back. As I don't want to park my vehicle at insecure place, I went…

Read More

I made an insurance for my Fortunar car for 9 lakhs and my car met with an accident with total loss. Now insurance company is telling us that the last…

Read More

I have purchased a Max life Monthly Income Advantage plan Policy. History of purchase: I approach to my Yes bank branch located in Rajouri garden, Del…

Read More

Sir help me in getting my monet back from a firm i had invested money in a firm and they said that they will return it after 3 yrs with 11% interest a…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue