Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Restitution of Conjugal Rights in Hindu Marriage Act

November 06, 2018
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty

Restitution of Conjugal Rights in Hindu Marriage Act

The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 provides a remedy under Section 9 in the form of restitution of conjugal rights if someone’s spouse has left without giving any reasonable grounds. Section 9 of the HMA reads that when either the husband or the wife has, without a reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the distressed party may apply for restitution of conjugal rights.

The party in distress can file a petition to the respective district court after which the court records the statements of both parties made in the petitions and if the court finds no legal ground as to why the application should not be granted, the judge may decree restitution of conjugal rights in the aggrieved’s favor.


Three essential conditions for Section 9 of HMA

Firstly, one party must have withdrawn from the society of the other; secondly, the withdrawal must be without any reasonable reason, and thirdly, the aggrieved party applies for the restitution of conjugal rights.

Once these conditions are fulfilled, the district court may decree of restitution of conjugal rights to bring about cohabitation between the estranged parties.

If the court is not convinced and finds the petitioner guilty then the decree of restitution of conjugal rights is not granted.

If the parties are not following the decree for cohabitation after the passing of the decree, continuously for about a year, it becomes a ground for divorce under Section 13.


Reasonable grounds on which petition for Restitution of Conjugal Rights can be rejected:

First, if the respondent has a ground on which he or she can claim any matrimonial relief;

Second, if the petitioner is guilty of any matrimonial misconduct;

Third, if the petitioner is guilty of such act, omission or conduct which makes it impossible for the respondent to live with him; for instance, husband’s neglect of his wife or the constant demand for dowry, etc. are some reasonable ground for the wife not to join the company of her husband.


The burden of proof under Section 9 of the HMA

The burden of proof is on the aggrieved/petitioner who needs to prove that the respondent has withdrawn from his society. Once that burden is discharged by the petitioner, it falls on the respondent to prove that there exists a reasonable excuse for the withdrawal.


Related Articles

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings | ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 999
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 25000
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Get free legal advice from top Divorce lawyers for your specific issue

Divorce Law Articles

New Rules in Divorce Laws

Men's rights in Divorce

How to End a Marriage in India?

Divorce laws in India

Get free assistance for your legal issue