Wife claiming marriage expenses for giving mutual divorce

We got married before 4 years and now can't live with my wife because of some reasons, their family also somehow agreed on mutual. If I go for mutual they are claiming expenses incurred by them at the time of marriage ie 4lacs + salary of wife and jwellery. Is it mandatory to give marriage expenses according to law we have not taken any dowry. I am not able to give that marriage expenses

Answers (4)

346 votes

If both the parties have agreed to go for mutual divorce then it is mandotory to file consent terms with the Petition. In the consent terms both the parties have their own terms on which the go for mutual divorce.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

145 votes

you are not liable to pay marriage expenses incurred by them at the time of marriage.It is not at all mandatory.however the jwellery as a streedhan she is entitled to receive.If she is not earning then she is also entitled for lumsum money towards permanent alimony if she so desire.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
324 votes

The law does not mandate you to pay for any expenses. In your case, both parties have agreed to divorce, to that extent there would be no problem.

As for the terms of the divorce, you are contenting their demand to pay 4lac+other expenses. In such a scenario, the best option is both parties coming to a compromise and settling the issue without the Court's intervention. If that does not work out then you would be required to contest their demand before the Court and establishing your unwillingness and inability to pay the money before the Court by way of producing relevant facts and documents. Once you convince the Court that there is no necessity and that you are unable to pay such huge sums of money, the Court shall settle the issue by taking into consideration all the relevant factors.
Point to note is that whatever jewellery and other articles that were gifted to the wife during the marriage, would be required to be given to her after divorce.

310 votes

As per query

If you both have agreed for mutual consent divorce, legally you are only entitled to return all the belongings of your wife, her gifts, jwellery i.e.Stri-dhan etc.. Further you both can agree for one time alimony to be paid to your wife. (your wife can waive one time alimony if she desires to do so)

You are not legally liable to pay the marriage expenses at all. It totally depends upon the terms & conditions agreed between both of you.


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles