What should I do if my husband is an alcoholic and harasses me

25-Apr-2023 (In Family Law)
We have completed 2 yrs of marriage(arrange marriage,hindu).I am from Bangalore.staying in Chennai only we both his parents staying in Madhurai.Now my husband is asking for divorce.The reason he is giving is he cant keep me happy or give me baby.He is alchoholic & harass me when gets drunk.His parents are least bothered.Now what should I do?Suggest me ASAP!
Answers (2)

Answer #1
741 votes
Dear client
I had been gone through your case is not in danger situation it's by setting your patience and arrangements with both families commitment ok I don't know how many times he is asking you give divorce, you may do one thing you come your mother's house for fee days by inform to his father's an mother's also then after he might realised his attitude.
Answer #2
848 votes
In this case you can approach police station and complain against your husband u/s 498 A of Indian Penal Code. It is an offence punishable under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, which is imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine.

You can also file a petition under Section. 9 & 14 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005. The offence is cognizable and non-bailable. Penalty up to one year imprisonment and / or fine up to Rs. 20,000/- may be imposed for an offence.

The reliefs available to the aggrieved person are : -
• She can stay in her husbands house and cannot be evicted by him.
• The respondent cannot dispossess her or disturb her possession or enter her place of work.
• He may be restrained from communicating with her whether orally, through telephone, written or any electronic means.
• He may be asked to pay for her monthly maintenance and for any expenses and losses suffered by her due to domestic violence.
• Compensation and damages may be imposed for mental torture & emotional distress.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."