Want to get married to Hindu man can parents create problem

I am an American Christian woman marrying a Hindu Indian man. We plan on getting married in a civil service. Can my fiancé’s parents prevent us from getting married? We are both over 21.

Answers (2)

184 votes

Since both of you are above 21 years, you are both legally adults and hence can marry according to your volition. You can register your marriage under the Special Marriage Act. However, please note that registration is compulsary.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

73 votes

First tell me, in India or abroad. They can't prevent you both marrying, bezc u both are major's. U can complain against them, if they prevent.
If in India you both have to get registered d marriage, after filing the application before jurisdictional sub-registrar officer & wait for statutory period of 30days.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."