Validity of Memorandum of Restitution of Conjugal Rights

Hi, I am a Hindu woman, married in 2014 and left matrimonial house in 2015 during advanced stage of pregnancy due to tremendous mental torture by my inlaws.. I have a daughter of 2years now.. My husband filed a divorce petition after which i got it transferred through High Court.. After that my husband did not carry forward the divorce case and probably withdrew the case.. Now, since January 2018 he is visiting my father's house where i stay with my baby.. He and his mother are requesting me to go back and start a fresh happy family with him.. But i doubt their intentions.. As in the divorce petition he has made huge false allegations against me.. A maintenance case and a 498A case is active against him.. now i am confused whether he is genuinely trying to get us back or is pretending.. If suppose i agree to go back to him, is a memorandum of understanding for restitution of conjugal rights valid? Matrimonial agreements are enforceable? What to do?

Answers (3)

148 votes


You seem to have a mental dilemma rather than a Legal case, it can be assessed by you only. You may go back to your matrimonial home if you wish and see that there will be no torture as you have a daughter.

You can also claim separate stay in your matrimonial home if you wish.

Marriage is not a contract for a Hindu so memorandum of restitution may be made but it may not be enforced in law. But you can at any time file criminal case as well as divorce if necessary, even after filing compromise now.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

144 votes

Agreements relating to marriage are not valid till date. Visit by your husband could be a ploy only. Case filed under S 498 A of IPC ,1860 is never advisable. It leads to no where. You should try to be independent in some manner and deal with the situation. Your husband and his family will continue to torture you once you get back, this is what I assume. If lives separately with you near your father's house then you could feel safe.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience
114 votes

Yes a memorandum of understanding can be made with harsh clauses and be made over a stamp paper and together be lodged alongwith a general diary and moreso getting a strict order from court that every and after 6 months there will be a date for the wife to file report before court about behaviour of husband and in laws.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

We are married couple for 17 years with two children past 4 years back I left abroad since my is emotional. Bipolar disorder person she was easily tra…

Read More

hi I applied Interim injection order against my husband and other to not to allinate from resident , i also applied Resistution of Conjugal rights bec…

Read More

Husband file sec-9, & reconciliation made with condition of leave separate house. But husband behave rudely.take every moment proof. What to do.?…

Read More

My husband has filed divorce petition on grounds of cruelty. For that i have filed Restitution of Conjugal rights. As he have mentioned about sms and …

Read More