Rights of Husband under Conjugal Rights under Hindu law

Me Indore me rahta hu Mene 27jan2017 ko ek ladki se arya smj ke madhyam se vivah kiya tha or dono Hindu hai hm ne ye bt ghr walo se chupaye rakhi 1 din ladki k ghar walo ko pta chal gaya or unhone ladki ko dara diya ki agar usne mere sath rahne ki sahmati jatayi to wo mujhe mar denge dar ke karan usne ek 1000 rupaye k stam paper par Na sign kar diye or mere bhi krwa liye ladki ke ghar walo ka police me bhut prabhav hai is karan me police ki mdd nhi le sakta mujhe ladki se ek bhi br bt nhi karne di gai. Or ab bhi usse kisi se bhi bat karne ki ijjajat nhi hai. Mere sawal ye hai ki kya me court me aavedan de sakta hu or wahan bhi agar dar kar usne mana kar diya to kya hoga or kya court use sulah ke tor pe kuch dino k liye mere sath rahane ko bhej Sakti hai .. ladki ke ghar wale uska vivah bhi jald karwa sakte hai mujhe arya samaj se Jo praman patra diya gaya tha uski original copy bhi in logo ne notary ke sath laga kar unke pass rakh li . Mere pass kewal uske reg. No.h

Answers (2)

132 votes

आप हिन्दू विवाह अधिनियम की धारा ९ का केस दर्ज कर आपकी पत्नी को आपके साथ रहने के लिए बुलवा सकते हैं। अगर वे लोग आपकी पत्नी को छिपाकर रखते हैं तो आप हायकोर्ट में Habeas corpus की याचिका लगा कर आपकी पत्नी को बुलवाने के लिए बाध्य कर सकते हैं। आपके पास विवाह का प्रमाण पत्र भले ही न हो, रजिस्ट्रेशन नंबर से काम हो सकता है। आप ने ये नहीं बताया कि स्टाम्प पेपर में क्या लिखा था। लेकिन ध्यान रखें यदि आपकी पत्नी कोर्ट में आपके विरुद्ध बयान दे तो आपके लिए मुश्किल हो सकती है।

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

143 votes

Marriage according to Hindu law is a sacrament. By saying that marriage is a sacrament it means that the primary function of marriage is the performance of religious and spiritual duties by married couple and that the union is a permanent one.
In order to maintain the permanancy of marriage, law provides for the provision of restitution of conjugal rights in the event of one party withdrawing from the society of the other without any reasonable cause. The law seeks to maintain a stability of marital relations and favors all attempts in order to prevent the breakdown of marriage.
Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act provides for the restitution of conjugal rights.
Section 9 states that: When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights land the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.
The essential provisions of this section are:
(1) One party has withdrawn from the society of the other,
(2) Such withdrawl is without any reasonable reason,
(3) The aggrieved party applies for the restitution of conjugal rights.
The object of decree of restitution of conjugal rights is to bring about cohabitation between the estranged parties so that they an live together in the matrimonial house with amity. It does not aim at forcing a person to sexual relationship. Further, the decree is granted if the reason for withdrawl is not reasonable. If the court finds that the petitioner is guilty then the decree of restitution of conjugal rights is not granted. Further, if after the passing of the decree, the parties do not cohabit continuously for one year, then it beomes a ground for dissolution of marriage under Section 13.
Reasonable grounds for withdrawal:
(A) If there exists a ground on which the respondent can claim any matrimonial relief.
(B) If the petitioner is guilty of any matrimonial misconduct.
(C) If the petitioner is guilty of such act, omission or conduct which makes it impossible for the respondent to live with him.
Husband’s neglect of his wife[1] or the constant demand for dowry[2] is reasonable grounds for the wife to stay at her parent’s place.
Burden of proof:
The initial burden to prove that the respondent has withdrawn from the society of the petitioner is on the petitioner. Once that burden is discharged, it is for the respondent to prove that there exists a reasonable excuse for the withdrawal.[3]
Constitutional validity of Section 9
It has been contended in many cases that Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, is violative of right to privacy under Article 21. In many cases the wife has stated that the Section is misused by husbands to force the wife into living with them against her wish. In the case of T Sareetha v T Venkata Subbaih[4], the court observed that Section 9 is violative of right to privacy and human dignity given under Article 21 of the Constitution and hence, ultra vires the Constitution. However, this was overruled by the Supreme Court in Saroj Rani v Sudarshan.[5]
Law seeks to provide stability of marriage, it does not force a person into unwanted relations. The decree is passed only when there is an unreaonable withdrawl of society. However, it maybe misused by husbands or wives into coercing their unwilling partners into cohabitation. Therefore, it is the duty of the courts to enquire judiciously and order accordingly.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."