Mother in law stops me from visiting my parents

09-Aug-2023 (In Family Law)
My mother in law says that since iam married now my parents dont have any right on me and that i cannot visit my parents without her permission she wants to limit my time and according to her i can stay there till the time that is been given by her wheras my husband does not have any issues with me staying there.My mother in law has insulted my parents many time by saying rude words to them.shall i tolerate this?my religion is hindu.
Answers (2)

Answer #1
164 votes
If your mother in law is forcefully keeping you within the boundaries of your house and harassing you in this way then you can approach the police station and lodge a complaint against your mother.
If the situation is not critical then we would recommend to sort out things by trying to make her understand and consulting a counsellor.
You can also file a case against them under Section 339 in The Indian Penal Code
Section 339 states: Wrongful restraint.—Whoever voluntarily obstructs any person so as to prevent that person from proceeding in any direction in which that person has a right to proceed, is said wrongfully to restrain that person.

Answer #2
932 votes
Talk to your husband and come to a mutual understanding on what you should do to make her understand your situation. As I understand from your write-up that the problem only exists with your mom in law and not all of your in-laws, it is ideal not to resort to any of the legal remedies, instead try to win her over by doing things that she would appreciate, try to be close to her and make her understand you. Resort to her counselling if that be an option for you.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."