Legal action against second marriage without the consent of first wife

Its regarding 2nd marriage without the permission of 1st wife. So what action can 1st wife take in this case and what are the obligation of husband towards his first wife ?? This case is related to the colleague. Kindly answer me

Answers (2)

In law the marriages is only once and it cannot be dissolved until and unless the court issues divorce, In law their is only one marriage and the husband cannot enter into second marriage during the life time of wife or wife cannot enter in to another marriages during the life time of husband. The law does not permit for second marriage in case wife is forced to agree . It is illegal and the second wife is not given a status of wife she is only concubine. The marriage is illegal.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Entering into a marriage during the lifetime of the husband/wife is punishable with imprisonment of upto 7 years and fine as contemplated by Section 494 of the Indian Penal Code. The 1st Wife can present a Private Complaint before the Jurisdictional Magistrate under Section 200 of the Code of Criminal Procedure and in the event of her living separately, she is also entitled to maintenance (Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure). The option of claiming divorce is also available if the case also involves adultery and cruelty as per Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act. (Assuming that the parties are Hindus by religion).

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
12 years Experience

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

How to find out if a person is married or not ? My husbands behavior is seems like changed. I doubted him about he may marry a girl in the register of…

Read More

Sir, My father a state govt employee worked as junior assistant in d.e.o office I am the son of second wife first wife gave her consent to the second …

Read More

One of my friend loved one low cast girl for 2years and after that he is very scarred and he not even inform to there parents also and he got married …

Read More

After very good 7 years of our marriage life my wife fall in love with someone ales they wanted to divorce. I also try one year to patch up the proble…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue