Legal action against husband and in laws for the harassment

I got married in 2013. Now i m having a girl baby, with one year old. I am staying in my mother home for past one and half years. There was a problem with my husband. Myself Christian and he s hindu. He used to scold me everytime with harsh words and i become mentally disturbed most of the times. I was trying to commit suicide one time. Sometimes he used to beat me hard. He took over all of my jewels and kept in pawn broker shop. He and his family members used to treat me lik a servant. And i was starving for food for nearly ten days, after delivery of sixth month. They everyone not allowing me to study in college, now i dropped out my studies. Now i need my all things and kindly suggest me a right way. Thanks, before itself.

Answers (3)

316 votes

I think that your marriage took place under the Special Marriage act. It is better for you to lodge a police complaint under Secn., 498/A and as well move a family court to safeguard your interest under the Domestic Violence act. You give a list of jewels to the police so that they can interrogate your husband and make him to return the jewels to you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

290 votes

you can file a case for harassment under domestic violence act and you can get back all the things and can also sought protection apart from filing a case for maintenance of yourself and your child in the family court and criminal action can also be taken for domestic violence.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
181 votes

you can file a case for maintenance against your husband for the survival of you and the child. And can seek residential and other rights under domestic violence act. even you can file for a petition for reunion by filing restitution of conjugal rights.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."