Invasion of privacy and confiscation of personal belongings

I am a 24 plus years old independent female, living on my own(rent). My parents are against my love marriage and when i visited home they hid my laptop and phone and copied all its content to their laptop strictly against my consent and then went through my personal documents and pictures which i didn't want to share with them. Is it legally permitted? Can i take any legal action against them regarding this ?

Answers (1)

183 votes


Going by what you have stated herein, it is advised that since you are major therefore legally nobody can confine you. Also a criminal and civil action is maintainable in your case. Also you can seek protection from the court and police.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."