In laws forcing daughter in law to leave their son without their will

My cousin sis and her husband are happy together but her inlaws want her to get separated from their son.She is not even living with them .She is living in a rented accomodation.Not even asking for any share in property or doing anything wrong ..but then too her inlaws keep her blaming if ever their son argues with them .They put all the blame on her .So I wanted to know can parents forcefully separate the couple without their will .They are happy together and performing all their responsibilities towards parents .Inlaws are living in a huge house but then too son and daughter in law are living in a rented flat ..but they are happy with this too .Both of them visit the inlaws daily take care of them too.

Answers (4)

122 votes

Respected reader,
As per legal scenario is concerned, no one can compel a legally valid married couple to get separated without their own sweet will. Since your cousin and her husband are happy together you should not worry. In-laws can evict their son from their property if it is their self-acquired property but they can not forcefully separate the couple.
These are pressure tactics in order to blackmail their son in order to choose between them or his wife. Your cousin sis must understand that instead of getting irritated, try to support her husband in best possible manner.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

229 votes

No one can pressurize a legally married couple to get separated if they are willing to reside with each other with their own will and wish, not even their parents. For this your sister can file a complaint in the court or in police station against her in-laws for their cruel acts and conducts towards her. Moreover she and her husband are also entitled for their share in the family property possessed by her in-laws.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
334 votes

Hello, no they cannot. If two have decided to live their life together noone can apart them. Though, her in laws if aggrieved can disinherit his son from their property but same can be challenged in court.
Thank you.

346 votes

It's seems your query is still personal that's why it was asked through you or you asked the same according to my opinion you should solved out the same with a meeting of your known mean amiably. The amicable settlement is the best way on this stage

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."