Husband lives away mother-in-law mentally tortures and ask for dowry

My husband stays away most of the time, need to live with mother in law, she doesn't give me food, no money and constantly complains and abuses my family for not giving things. Has total control of finances. Does not allow me to leave house. Mentally tortured me during my pregnancy and in hospital after my operation. Attempted to snatch my child and shouted and abused me in front of my husband to be thrown out. Have been left at my parents house ever since then. No monetary support and husband abuses me over phone for upsetting his mother. Please help need monetary support from him to upbring my child and stop being mentally tortured by both of them.

Answers (2)

225 votes

Maintaining the wife and child is the duty of husband and he can not escape from it. You can move to court for your right. File a complaint under D.V Act and. Dowry prohibition act anf 498 A IPC, for torturing, abusing and demanding dowry. you can also file a case for maintenance from your husband, so u can maintain yourself and your child.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

248 votes

Yu need to go for a case under 12 DV Act firstly.
And before that file a FIR against your in laws
After filing a case under 12 DV Act, you need to go for a case under section 125 Cr.P.C. for maintenance for yourself and your child.
You can also claim your in laws property through you child.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."