How to protect myself if girlfriend is threatening to commit suicide

I am not sure what category this comes under, I was in relationship with a girl in India, things did not work out and I wanted to separate , it did happen after a while of me proposing to separate however now I am getting blackmailed by that girl if I dont be in relationship with her, she would kill herself and blame me and my mother ( who has got nothing to do with this ) , I do not know what my legal options are here, we are not married or engaged. Please let me know how I can take this forward.

Answers (1)

86 votes

Dear client,
Live-in relationships in India have still not received the consent of the majority of people. They are still considered a taboo to the Indian society. The majority of the people consider it as an immoral and an improper relationship. At present there is no specific legislation that deals with concept of live in relationship and the rights of the parties and the children of the live in partners. It was a very unambiguous concept until the Supreme Court of India took the initiative and declared that live in relationship though considered immoral but it is not illegal.

Through its various decisions the judiciary has tried to accord legality to the concept and protect the rights of the parties and the children of live in couples. But at present there is a need to formulate a law that would clarify the concept. There should be clear provisions with regard to the time span required to give status to the relationship, registration and rights of parties and children born out of it. The utmost need of the hour is to secure the future of the children born to live in couples. The steps taken by the judiciary are indeed welcoming and pragmatic in approach. Though the live in relations provide the individuals individual freedom but due to the insecurity it carries it with, there needs to be a law to curtail its disadvantages

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."