defamation by brother in law and his wife using very abusive language

brother in law threatened to kill me and his wife tried to break the door but i did not open also he has obtained signature of my husband i have recorded his threat he shouted on my doorstep i wish to file defamation case against him as he has used abusive language and made remarks against my motherhood in front of the society . i called up the police and they have noted complaint of threat to my life but i want to file defamation case as they are harassing me and now i am keeping quiet since last 22 years but they are taking advantage of the same . please guide me

Going by what you have stated herein, it is advised that you can very well file a case of defamation and other criminal cases.. You need to produce the person before whom you were defamed or harassed..

You need to have an FIR lodged. It is unlikely that the police will do so and you may therefore approach the magistrate's court for a direction to the police to register an FIR.

As far as defamation is concerned, you need to file a suit before the concerned court. For example, in Delhi, claims above Rs. 20,00,000/- will go the High Court and amounts below that would go to the District Courts.