defamation by brother in law and his wife using very abusive language

brother in law threatened to kill me and his wife tried to break the door but i did not open also he has obtained signature of my husband i have recorded his threat he shouted on my doorstep i wish to file defamation case against him as he has used abusive language and made remarks against my motherhood in front of the society . i called up the police and they have noted complaint of threat to my life but i want to file defamation case as they are harassing me and now i am keeping quiet since last 22 years but they are taking advantage of the same . please guide me

Answers (2)

149 votes

You need to have an FIR lodged. It is unlikely that the police will do so and you may therefore approach the magistrate's court for a direction to the police to register an FIR.

As far as defamation is concerned, you need to file a suit before the concerned court. For example, in Delhi, claims above Rs. 20,00,000/- will go the High Court and amounts below that would go to the District Courts.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

314 votes


Going by what you have stated herein, it is advised that you can very well file a case of defamation and other criminal cases.. You need to produce the person before whom you were defamed or harassed..

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."