Clarification on marriage with cousin

I luv a girl two years younger than me.. we did not mean to fall for eachother when we started our conversations but it has been since 3 yrs and we eventually ended up getting mad on each other.. now we can never ever live without one another.. The problem is that she is my father's brother's wife's sister's daughter.. Ending up as my cousin.. she figures to be my second circle sister which i personally cannot accept.. she is related to me on her maternal side.. I really want to know if there is any legal issues bothering our marriage??If so then how could I get it resolved?? Please help me in resolving this problem..

Answers (2)

249 votes

sapindas relationship will extend to three generations on the maternal side. there is only one generation between you both and therefore you both are sapindas and you will fall within the prohibited relationship. therefore you cannot marry that girl and if you marry, that marriage will be void as per Hindu law

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

238 votes

It falls within the definition of the prohibited degree of relationship as she is related to you through the maternal aunt lineage. Thus, Hindu marriage act doesn't permit such marriage and it will be considered as nullity.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."