Clarification on grounds for giving maintenance to working wife

When a girl is working, is it necessary that we have to give maintenance and moreover she has left the house with her own wish and doesn't wana to come back

Answers (5)

336 votes

No, if a girl is working and she has left the house with her own wish and doesn't want to come back then it's not necessary that we have to give maintenance, the law is clear that if a girl is unemployed & she deserted from the company without her own wishes then she entitled to maintenance

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

154 votes

not at all, there are supreme court judgments supporting this claim of yours.
you don't have to provide maintenance when a girl is working, it is not necessary that you have to give maintenance.
moreover, in your case she has left with her own free will

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
280 votes

The wife must have some reason for leaving the house of the husband ,which she must have stated in grounds of divorce petition ,if any,filed by her.In case maintenance application is filed by working wife ,after she starts living separately,the Court will consider the incomes and expenses of both the husband and wife .If the court comes to conclusion that the income of working wife is not sufficient for her to maintain same standard of living ,which she was having while living with her husband ,then inspite of some income of wife ,the Court may direct husband to make monthlv payment of some amount as maintenance to wife .If you feel that the differences between you and your wife can be resolved ,you can make a prayer to the Court to list the case for settlement and make an attempt to resolve the dispute and see if she comes back to live together with you. .In case the Court has passed order to give maintainance ,you will have to pay the same as per directions of the Court.

193 votes

No sir no maintenance to that lady as it is the latest verdict of Honorable supreme Court ask your Lawyer to go for it's refrense .first send the notice if RCR this will be the evidence of her not coming back .Second when she is working lady then the husband needs to submit her bank details and her attendance certificate in the court . And sir let her run for the money part . If the first anniversary is over then the husband can file case for divorce or ground of desertion.

278 votes

There are different criteria based on which the issue of maintenance is decided. Total household income, income of wife in comparison to husband's salary, and circumstances of separation. So your complete query can be answered once the aforementioned questions are answered.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."