quesCan I file domestic violence case after my husband files for divorce?

My husband has alleged that I mentally and physically harassed him and applied for divorce.But the truth is he harassed me by forcing me to quit software job after having a baby, asking me to cook and wash utensils within 1PM daily and attend all their family functions even if it affected my son’s health. I have had a very tough time dealing with such conditions for few months. Taking care of my son, doing all the household chores, and managing to work for even an hour per day became impossible and I was forced to quit content writing job(a freelance WFH job). My MIL did not allow me to go out of the house even for a walk, my mobile was transferred to my husband’s name and I and my son were sent out of their house alleging me of a false extra-marital affair. Their relatives tried to threaten us with dire consequences if I did not agree to live with my husband and go for divorce. I have a few text messages and call recordings to prove this. How should I fight for justice?Religion:Hindu

  • ansDear madam,
    You can take several steps and if so require but you have to be cautious and take steps in very well mannered and in a way that legally it should reach the correct approach , there by advised that kindly do visit us , and take legal advice and can approach .OFC : pankaj Kumar , Advocate.

    Advocate Pankaj Kumar

      kaggadasapura, Bangalore

  • ansYes. You can file a domestic violence case against your husband when the case for divorce is before court. The question that arises to the court is: why you did not choose this option before divorce petition? The court may view this as a post facto measure by you to not only defend but also to harass your husband.
    Since this is sensitive matter, if you wish, you can contact us for possible ways and relief.
    Dr Gubbi, Counselor & Advocate, Bangalore

    Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

      K G Road, Bangalore

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Family lawyers in India

Similar questions

We are living separated for the past 3 years and a divorce case has been…
I am a mother of 2 sons....I live in my mother's house as my husband…

Guests from wife side frequent my house every now and then.Wife loves them. The result…

if a hindu wife 'A' is married to a hindu boy 'B' and if the…

Family Lawyers in India

Advocate Nagesh B L

 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly