Can first wife avail husband's pension benefits or maintenance

Hii, my mother is first and legal wife of my father. My father remarried to another before 25years having one son and two daughters. Now my father living in Bhubaneswar with his second wife. My father was employed in Indian railway and retired August 2017. My father never give any financial and social assistance to my mother. And my mother lives in inlaws house and no contact with my father since 25 years. Very surprisingly we got to know that family pension and other spouse related facilities can avail my stepmother due to her name is in respective documents. I want to know is it possible for my mother get maintenance charge and spouse entitlement like family pension etc... My father got job after 5year of marriage to my mother.

Answers (4)

187 votes

Dear client,
Your mother is the legal wife of your father. The second marriage of your father is a void marriage as your mother is alive. So your mother has every rights of getting maintenance and also pension. So you suggest your mother to file case as soon as possible. It's too delay. So you take help of advocate and fight for rights and dignity of your mother.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

77 votes

Remarriage by any Hindu male without divorce of the first wife is illegal in Indian law and if so happens the status of the 2nd wife is illegitimate and doesn't deserve any right from the husband Only the legitimate wife is entitled for the family pension and other financial benefits from the husband

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
52 votes

Dear , the pension of your father was eligible for your mother and your step brother and sister. So if you file a case against your father before the family court. Then it may be possible to get the maintenance. And the share from your father property also. Any assistance you may need contact directly.

81 votes

It can be.
A person can't remarry during subsistence of a marriage and if he enters remarriage than the second marriage is a nullity in eyes of law. So the status of second wife can at best be a concubine. As the second marriage is illegal the off spring born out of such marriage are illegitimate and illegitimate children as well as concubine can't succeed the property of father so also any coparcenery property. So far as sharing of pension is concerned it can't be attached but being a legal married wife she can sue for maintenance and for realization of that amount the court can pass appropriate order.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."