Can a wife claim maintenance for child if she is not divorced

Me and my husband is in govt job in same department and same station earlier. We married in April 2016. We stayed together 7 months. In these 7 months he fought with me raised hands tortured me mentally physically both. By the time in Feb 2017 i got pregnant. When in told him about this news we went his home saying the baby is not him so i came to my parents house for proper care of myself and my child. He dint contacted me 9 months and also Did not responded to my relatives phone. After delivery he came only two times. Now saying that me n my daughter way is different. What should i do. I don't want divorce. Since i working in the same pay as my husband will i get maintainedfor my child even when we are not divorced. What action can be taken my me that he should take responsibility of the child n myself also. Presently i am staying at my parents house since one year and he is transferred in another town. Plz help.

Answers (2)

245 votes

If court setisfy that yr baby is more secure in yr custody , and you can't not stay with yr husband with a good reason than u will get the maintenance for yr baby. Because u r earning enough for u so may be u can not get maintenance for yourself but u can get maintenance for your baby till so will got married, some other conditions also take place in the matter ,,,,,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

293 votes

Yes the wife can claim maintenance for the child as well specially when the child is a minor. In your case you can surely claim maintenance from your husband irrespective of the fact that you are earning, as it is the legal duty of a Father to maintain his children. Plus there are plenty of other remedies available to you apart from claiming maintenance.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My father is a successful business man but cruel bad too he abuses,beats tortures my mom brother and me I can't take this anymore my head blast ev…

Read More

A child is born in Australia whose mother is australian, aged 48 and the father ia indian aged 21. The child was born under complicated circumstances …

Read More

Can a disabled major daughter (unmarried) ask for maintenance from her father's pension? Or the monthly interest from the senior citizen fixed dep…

Read More

 I have filled case under 12 (1))(B) per hindu marriage act for nullity within 1 year of marriage since my wife is suffering from mental disorder…

Read More