Being a senior citizen can we ask maintenance from our children

I am 64 years & my wife 60 years. Self has small marketing set up but due to age factor activities from April 16 have been reduced and earnings are now very nominal. Wife gets pension. Daughter is married and well settled and supportive. Son is 34 and has one 2-year daughter. Daughter in-law graduate in commerce but not earning. Son has never been supportive. He has never supported any domestic work. Whenever monthly expenses are demanded he starts abusing baseless. Similarly, whenever any work is instructed to him answer will be he will attend, can we ask maintenance from the son

Answers (3)

170 votes

Yes you have complete right to maintaince from your both children.

Quantam will b decided based upon earning and total people dependant.
And about behaviour of your son application can b made for grevience

revert with complete details

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

66 votes

Dear Sir,

From the information provided by you we assume that you have no source of income at present and your wife is earning pension.

S.125 of CRPC casts duty upon children to maintain their parents, who may have no source of income. You can file an application under the said section before Magistrate Court within whose jursidiction you are residing.

Apart from above, The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007 envisages providing need-based maintenance to the parents/grand parents from their children.The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007 also contains enabling provisions like protection of life and property of senior citizens, better medical facilities, setting up of old age homes in every district, etc.

Our Parliament enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007, recognizing statutorily that the parents are dependents of their daughters as well and are entitled to seek maintenance even from the married daughters.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
279 votes

Yes sir,
There are several procedure in law. Firstly in criminal procedure code then there are two acts for old people and senior citizens, where u can claim for maintenance and your son is liable for paying you.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."