Adoption under Special Marriage Act and and succession to property

I am a Hindu male who has married a Christian female in January, 2007. Can I adopt a Hindu child? If so, will the adopted child be entitled to a share of my property?

Answers (2)

225 votes

Adoption. If the adoption is a legal adoption then in that case your daughter will be entitled to your property and also become eligible to the ancestral property of yourself. Secondly your daughter will get all benefits

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

256 votes

I believe you married under Special Marriage Act, 1954, the difficulty arises with respect to your wife who is Christian, as there is no adoption law under Christian Personal Laws, she can only be a Guardian under Guardianship and wards Act of India. While you can adopt under Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act as an adoptive father but your wife can't be an adoptive mother. The adopted child will have all rights as a your child but the child won't have the right of succession from mother's side. You have not mentioned regarding the child whether he/she is from orphanage ? or child of any of your relatives or your wives' relative? If the child is from orphanage, then you have to follow the guidelines of CARA.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."