Action against domestic violence by husband's family

I am Hindu by religion , my in laws and I are not in good terms, after marriage they tricked me into helping them financially , I was being taunted from day one of my marriage but I din't understand their language as it was a love cum arrange marriage , because of my husband's family we husband and wife quaralle a lot . I have been married for 8 years and I have been tortured by my mil mentally , this is indirectly effecting my marriage , she always speaks I'll about me , taunts me calls me by bad names spread bad rumours about me .I want to take action against her and my husband's family .. plzz advice ,...

Answers (2)

83 votes

HI, your is case of pure domestic violence, Your MIL's action amounts to mental harassment, you stated that you have been financially exploited. In cases such as yours, you can get relief from all this by filing a case for domestic violence and seek protection order against your MIL not to interfere in your matrimonial life, you can recover all your finances if you have documentary evidence to that effect, further you can also clam compensation for harassing your.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

219 votes

Mam, With due respect and as per my knowledge and information

My suggestion to you is talk to your husband about this and sort it out in front of elders and once you approach police and court things are different relationship will turn into enmity. Still if they are not listening after that you try and live separately along with your husband (if your husband is willing to).

You have provision under IPC you can complaint the same in any of your nearest police station.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."