Abandoning house & going with a person of her choice

My Sister's daughter aged 20 years who is in her final BCom decided to move out of the house & go a with boy of her choice who is 24 years & not completed his 10th & does not have a job. My sisters husband has abandoned them around 4 years & he is staying alone while my sister was taking care of her daughter. The boy's parents are dead & he is staying with his brother. Her decision of going with him was firm & she has given it in writing on a paper in her own writing saying that she is going on at her will & will not claim anything from us, even the boy has given a letter saying that he is taking her, both the letters has been signed by some representatives who had come on boy's behalf. In our interest & protecting ourselves for future consequences do we need to inform this to police so that things gets registered & our liability seizes. We belong to Brahmin & the boy is Gowda.

Answers (2)

68 votes

The above incident involving relinquishing of all property claims and interests are civil in nature. The interference by the Police is unwarranted and has no value.
To be on the safer side, get a Relinquishment Deed in the form of an affidavit and make your sister's daughter sign on it. The Affidavit is a sworn statement stating that your sister's daughter shall forgo all her claims and interests in any of the properties that belongs to your sister and her family.
Also, note the Police have absolutely no authority to make agreements and involve themselves in these civil matters.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

78 votes

Ask your sister's daughter to execute relinquishment deed, simply writing on a paper will not release her right over the properties before that, file a formal complaint in jurisdictional police so that your sister's daughter and her boy friend come to station and give their statement.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."