What is the process of getting married in a Church? I am Christian.

In Documentation Law

What is the process of getting married in a Church? I am a Christian girl and want to get married to a non Christian guy who is willing to convert to Christianity. We want to go for a Church wedding in the presence of 15-20 close family and friends.

We would also need a Church Marriage Certificate. Please advise on the process.

Answers (1)

426 votes

To answer your question, first of all we need to know whether you are a Catholic or a Protestant. If you are a Catholic, then only a Catholic Priest can assist.  On the other hand, if you are a Protestant, then we need to know if you are a member of any Church or not. As far as CNI is concerned, they do keep a track of all the birth of their parish members.

So, if your parents were members of some Church then you would be too. If that can be done, then the priest of that particular church should be approached, or a letter may be requested to the concerned Church affirming your membership.

If you are not a member, then she can join any Church. There are many Churches who would be willing to accept you as a member and even grant your fiance the same. Taking a membership is simple. Different Churches have different requirements for granting a membership.

Kindly note that a Christain wedding can happen only between 2 Christians. As you have already mentioned that the non Christian guy you wish to get married to is ready to convert to Christianity, the most important point here is he should provide an affidavit mentioning that he has decided to be a Christian on her / his own free will and not under any coercion.

Once both of you are members of a Church, getting a wedding organized is very easy and the Church will guide you on the wedding process as well as the marriage certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience
Advocate Atulay Nehra
Sector 137, Noida
10 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles