What is the procedure to adopt a child? I am married.

I need details on how to go for an adoption of a baby. I have been married for last five years, and due to my health issues I am unable to conceive. However, we really want to have a baby. So my family and I have decided to adopt a baby.

Please help us with the process and also if possible suggest us with some good organisations which are currently involved in similar social welfare activities.

Answer

First we would suggest that you check your eligibility with respect to the adoption on this link:

The procedure for adoption is as follows:

i. Firstly, prospective adoptive parents should register with the local licensed Adoption Agency or Adoption Coordinating Agency. Your interest in adoption is ascertained at this stage.

ii. A home study of the prospective parents is conducted by the social worker of the agency. To allay your fears and apprehensions, pre-adoptive counseling sessions are undertaken by the social worker. For the social worker, assessing the ability of the couple to parent a child not born to them is of crucial importance. Therefore, the couple’s suitability to care for an unrelated child is ensured through this home study.

iii. After the initial survey, prospective adoptive parents should submit documents related to their financial and health status to the agency.

iv. A child is then shown to the parents. If desired by the parents, the agency takes care to match a child meeting the desired description.

v. The agency files a petition for obtaining the necessary orders under relevant Act once a successful matching has been done. In some cases, the child may also be placed in pre-adoption foster care with adoptive parents.

vi. Fees, as prescribed by the Government, will be charged by the licensed adoption agency for maintenance and legal cost.

vii. The above process is normally completed in 6-8 weeks once the child has been matched with the parents. There are regular follow-up visits and post-adoption counseling by the social worker till the child adjusts in his/her new environment.

You can obtain the list of adoption agencies on this link: