quesWhat is procedure to change my surname?

I wish to change my surname. What is the procedure for the same? I have crossed the age of 18yrs.

  • ans

    You will have to make an affidavit and get the same notarized or signed by your local SDM. The affidavit must mention the current surname  and desired surname and  briefly mention the reason for change of surname. Once the surname notarized or signed by your local SDM, it comes in force immediately.

    Thereafter you are required to publish your change of surname in a newspaper one official language and one in English.


    This is required as per law, so if anyone has objection they can take it up with authority.


  • Apply For Name Change In CBSE Marksheet/Birth Certificate
    Know More

    Click here to see all Documentation Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Similar questions

Dear Sir/Mam, I am Ajay Verma from Pune. As per caste system I am from…
In high court, a CRP disposed six month back, but no judgement received. whether any…
Hi Team, I am resident of Ghaziabad, i got married in year 2015 . i…

Hi, I want to start a new publication house. What is the registration process and…

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate Nagesh B L

 Experience: 23 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Barkha Bhalla

  Banjara Hills
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Unmesh Gopal Dindore

  Shaniwar Peth
 Experience: 9 years

View all >>