×

queswhat are the powers of magistrate

In case the Magistrate has ordered the Police to lodge FIR and is awaiting the final report, if even after a long time the final report has not been filed, can the magistrate take cognizance and proceed with recording statements of the witnesses?

• ansWhen in a case the FIR has been registered and the police has not filed Charge sheet or Final report then the magistrate can pass an order for status report but can not take cognizance on complaint till the final report filed by the police. The magistrate have power to accept or reject the Final Report.