Surname mentioned in patta, but not in registration document

Sir, my father name mentioned in his land patta is with surname Before one year he has done family settlement with his brothers. That time he has mentioned his name in registered documents is only mame without surname. Now myself changed his property with my name . The deed name is also without surname.  Is there any problem during the patta name transfer time. All of my father ID documents are also without surname .except land patta.

Answers (3)

134 votes

There is no problem if the identity of the person is well established by documentary evidence. As the Government of Tamil Nadu has officially banned using surnames, no one can be compelled to disclose his/her surname on any official record.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

95 votes

Discrepancy in name between documents is not a serious problem as it can be rectified. There are two options, one is rectification deed thereby rectifying the name in registered deed, second is executing Affidavit and producing before the concerned authority in order to make correction in mutation documents in revenue records.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Anup S Dhannawat
Borivali West, Mumbai
5 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
66 votes

Registered documents are better proof for claiming title. Patta is only a revenue record that is recorded based on registered documents. if any problem arises, an affidavit mentioning the name of your father with his surname and without surname stating that they are one and the same will be sufficient, since the address and other proofs contains only his name without surname.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles