Rental Agreement with my Tenant

Hi, I have a residential apartment property in Hyderabad that I have rented out in 2011 May and since then I have been getting constant inflow of rent from my tenant.

Now, I was told by few people that it would be riskier to not hold an agreement with the tenant. Also, I increased the rent by 10% only once since then.

Now, my questions are:

1. Is it OK to sign an rental agreement with my tenant now as if I had rented out since 2011?

2. What is the prescribed documentation procedure for this? I have less idea about this.

Waiting for your response. Prassana Hyderabad

Answers (1)

176 votes

1. It is always better and safe to enter into a  rental agreement.

Rental agreement acts as a safeguard to both the landlord and tenant  and if there evolves a issue regarding the tenancy the the agreement can be looked into to resolve the issue.

The agreement acts as a documentary evidence of the existence of tenant landlord relationship.

2. Rental Agreement is basically a deed of lease that states that the particular premises are leased out for a pattucular sum of rupees to a particular person.

The agreement is always entered for a period of 11 months and can be renewed for other subsequent terms.

After a period of 11 months during the renewal the amount can be legally be raised by ten percent. In cases where the period of the lease is more than 11 months then the deed is required to be registered before the sub registrar.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles