Problems due to improper marriage registration

My sister did register marriage with his friend during last year of college,after when she returned to home ,we found that she had registration certificate,when we came to know about her marriage details,she left home and went to live with him,when we got details about registered marrige we found that ,she did register marriage in a district which is no where related to ours,and they gave marriage invitation and certificate issued by temple as proof,but we found both are fake and now she feels for her mistake and want to come back to us,plz advise on this,can we challenge registar about marriage,can it be made null/void.note-even the witness say the boy forced them and emotionally blackmailed them to put witness certificate,plz advise on this .

Answers (3)

70 votes

The marriage can be declared null and void under the provisions of Hindu marriage Act, as it was performed under coercion and undue influence. It is a time consuming process, but there is a way. .. ..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

52 votes

Yes. If the consent is not out of free will, the marriage is not valid. However, we need to prove everything. Your sister can file suit before the Family Court to declare that the marriage is null and void.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
211 votes

Your sister has to file a petition in the proper court for setting aside her marriage on account of the technical and legal infirmities cited. Unfortunately, as she herself was a party to such an irregular affair, the court may take a very serious view.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles