×

quesMarriage age 18 years. Registration of marriage age 21 years.

I have doubt. Under the special marriage act the legal age to marry for the girl is 18 years and for the boy 21 years. But in another section of Special Marriage Act, the age for registration of marriage in 21 years. I went to registrar to register the marriage, he dined saying that the girl not above 21 years to register the marriage. Please tell me what to do?

Section 4(c) of the special marriage act cleary states the conditions relating to solemnization of special marriages and one of the condition is that  the male has completed the age of twenty-one years and the female the age of eighteen years.

So if the girl has completed the age of 18 years then the registrar is bound to register the marriage. We suggest that you should submit your application and on reeving refusal order  you can file an appeal before district court within thirty days from the date of the order.