Legal procedure to change child's surname in birth certificate

24-Mar-2023 (In Documentation Law)
Hi, my daughter is born in 2013 in Chennai. In birth certificate she has her father's surname. As of now, we aren't staying together and I am taking complete responsibility of my kid. There's an ongoing 498a and maintenance cases. These cases were filed in sep 2016 in rajahmundry, andhra Pradesh. My kid has come to first standard and as part of her school admission I need to submit birth certificate and aadhar card. In aadhar she has my surname whereas in birth certificate she has her father's surname. Can you please suggest if I have to get the surname changed in birth certificate what's the process.
Answers (1)

Answer #1
883 votes
The easy procedure is that you can give publication in the gazette relating to the deletion of your daughter's surname and with the copy of the gazette notification relating to the change in the name you can approach the school authorities to incorporate the name issued in the gazette notification.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."