How to transfer / register POA property if POA holder has passed away

My father has a property by Power of Attorney in Lucknow since 20 years and all the electricity and water bills are in my father's name. Now my father has passed away.

The property has been passed 2 times since the original owner and my father was the last POA holder.

How do we transfer the property in our name now?

Answers (1)

143 votes

Since there is no clarity to your question,

To give you a perfect legal advise, we would like to know a few more things :

1. who is in the current possession of the property?

2. Did your father made any Will or died intestate(without drawing up any Will)?

If your father passed away without any Will, property cannot be registered it can only be mutated i.e. divided among all the legal heirs.

Assuming that you are Hindus, your father's property if he died intestate property will be divided as per The Hindu Succession Act.

Now regarding your query, after the father's death, property could only be mutated and there is no law to provide for registry of property in your name.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles