How to register property bought on general power of attorney?

I want to get my property registered with the court. It was bought long back on general power of attorney, and is located in central delhi. I want to get it freehold now. Please let me know the correct process, as different property consultants give vague suggestions at different times.

Answers (1)

436 votes

As per the revised policy, holders of General Power of Attorney (GPA) and Agreement to Sell (AS), who have a registered GPA and AS between September 24, 2001, and October 11, 2011, will be entitled to apply for a conversion to freehold after paying a surcharge, in addition to conversion charges that will be applicable on the date of making their application.

In view of  the above point, if you have a registered General Power of Attorney as between September 24, 2001, and October 11, 2011,then you are entitled to apply for conversion to freehold.

The procedure for conversion from lease hold property to freehold is given herein below:

Procedure for Submission of Application:

First of all you will have to procure the brochure along with the prescribed application form, which is available on sale on payment of Rs. 50/- at the below mentioned offices:

1. Branches of banks during their business hours.

2. Outstation applicants desirous of obtaining the brochure by post may remit an amount of Rs. 65/- vi a bank draft favoring Canara bank' payable at Delhi. Such request should be sent only to the Manager Canara Bank, Shadeed Bhagat Singh Marg, Gole Market, New Delhi 110001.

Application forms in two different colors have been printed in respect of :-

1. Flats allotted by DDA. (in blue)

2. Flats and plots allotted by co-operative group housing societies/co-operative house building societies respectively and plots allotted by the DDA under its various residential schemes. (in green)

So you are advised to ensure that the application form relevant to your properties in the DDA is procured and filled along with the prescribed documents and conversion and other charges.

The application forms duly complete in all respects along with prescribed conversion and other charges may be deposited at any of these branches.

If any application is found incomplete or defective in any manner, the applicant shall be given an opportunity to furnish the prescribed documents not enclosed with the application and to remove the defects within a period of 30 days. On the failure of the applicant to remove the defects within the period specified, the application shall be deemed to have been rejected.

Applications found in order will be disposed of within a maximum period of 90 days from the date on which the prescribed formalities are completed. 

Conveyance deed shall be sent to the applicant/person in whose name conversion is sought, by registered post. The recipient shall then get it stamped from the Collector of Stamps and submit it within 45 days from the receipt thereof at the specified counter located at 'D' Block, Vikas Sadan, INA for signature of the authorized person. 

On receipt of the conveyance deed, a date will be given on which the signed conveyance deed can be collected from the specified counter at "D" Block, Vikas Sadan. Thereafter, the recipient shall get the conveyance deed registered with the concerned sub-registrar. Stamp duty and registration charges shall be borne by the person in whose favor the conversion is allowed.

In case the conveyance deed is not received by the applicant/person, in whose favor the conversion has been sought, within a period of 90 days, he/she may contact the Nodal Officer for the scheme, concerned Director of Lands/Housing of Delhi Development Authority on the public hearing days. (Monday & Thursday from 2.30 P.M. to 5.30 P.M.)


You are required to furnish the following documents along with the application form :-

1. Undertaking in prescribed format duly attested by Notary Public/First Class Magistrate.

2. Affidavit in prescribed format duly attested by Notary Public/First Class Magistrate.

3. Indemnity bond(s) in prescribed format(s) duly attested by Notary Public/First Class Magistrate.

4. Copy of POA(s)/ GPA along with copy of Sale Agreement (Where application is made by attorney), duly attested by Notary Public/Gazetted Officer.

5. Copy of Completion Certificate/ "D" form (in respect of all plots and flats allotted by Cooperative Group Housing Societies) duly attested by Notary Public/Gazatted Officer.

6. Proof of Physical Possession by the person in whose name the conversion is sought viz. copy of possession letter or slip/House Tax receipt/ration card/passport/driving licence/Identity card etc. duly attested by Notary Public/Gazatted Officer.

7. 4 attested passport size photographs and 4 attested specimen signatures of the person in whose favor the conversion is sought duly attested by a Gazetted Officer/Notary Public. (If the applicant is allotted/sub-lessee/lessee, then his/her photograph and in case of applicant being an attorney, photographs of person named in column "3" of the application form are required to be submitted.)

8. Copy of lease deed/sub-lease deed/conveyance deed/allotment letter/demand letter duly attested by Notary Public/Gazetted Officer.

9. Copy of N.O.C.(s) from the mortgagee(s) duly attested by Notary Public/Gazetted Officer.

10. Undertaking in the prescribed format duly attested by Notary Public/First Class Magistrate.      

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles