how can i obtain certificates?

Suppose a senior citizen (retired Govt. official) has expired and is survived by his mother (in Kerala), wife (in Mumbai) and married daughter (in Mumbai). He has certain Bank FDs without nominee mentioned. He has an under construction flat booked jointly with his wife in Mumbai. He has a plot of land in Kerala held as sole owner. The Death Certificate has been obtained. Request you to guide on the other documents (Succession certificate, legal heirship, etc.) required and the offices which would be required to be visited.

Answers (2)

303 votes

Obtain heirship certificate for civil court where his last residents or death.
Mother, spouse or daughter can apply for the same.
Mother spouse n daughter having equal share in all the properties.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

284 votes

1. If the deceased left a will then a probate of the will has to be obtained.
2. In absence of a will, the legal heirs have to obtain a succession certificate.
The beneficiary would be required to approach the High Court/ District Court within whose jurisdiction the properties are situated.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles