College refusing to return documents left course in between

I wanted to get back my certificates from the college as I wanted to discontinue... They r demanding me money for my certificates, is it legal for them to ask me money?

Answer

First of all no department can take or keep your original certificates with them or id proof. If they fail to return your documents then you send a legal notice thereby requesting them to return the document. If they fail to return then you can lodge a police complaint and file suit damages and seeking possession of your document.

LH House, Bangalore