Can i use different name in vakalatnama than my ID name?

In Documentation Law

My father was an Advocate and I am also an Advocate. My question is can I submit vakalatnama using the middle name as my father's first name wherein the same is not part of my name in any ID / documents?

Answers (1)

267 votes

You can submit your vakalatnama in the name which you had mentioned while enrolling yourself with the state bar council which would be the name in your College degree.

However, you can change your name by following the procedure for changing your name officially - the process for the same has been described below:

For change of name one has to get an affidavit prepared stating reasons for change of name and also the new name. Then the same needs to be published in two newspapers having wide circulation in your area, preferably one in English and other is the local language.

After due publication the same has to be published in gazette for notification with appropriate forms, fees and documents for publication.

After publication in gazette the new name comes into force and request for change of name can be made in all appropriate offices.

However, till the time you do not change your name officially, it's advisable to use your name which you possess on your papers as otherwise your client can create an issue of duping him.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action, if needed.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience
Advocate Atulay Nehra
Sector 137, Noida
10 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles