Can a married sister and unmarried brother own a flat ?

Hello, I am married working women. I have younger brother who is unmarried and working. We are planning to buy a flat in chennai in CO ownership. Could you please let us know if it is possible to own a flat between married sister and brother ? Also could you let me know if any legal complications in doing so. Thanks in advance!

you can very well purchase the flat jointly. the problem arises only when you want separate portions in accordance with your share and it will be a complicated one if the property could not be divided. the best course will be in that case one of you have to prepare to settle the property in favour of the other in future to avoid further complications.

You can buy Flat jointly with your younger brother. If you are buying with net cash no problem. If you are going for Bank loan they will not entertain joint loan with brother-sister. You can obtain legal opinion before entering into sale Agreement.

There is absolutely no legal bar in you and your brother jointly owning a property. However, after your lifetime the question of succession will be complicated. More so, when your brother decides to get married in the future.